Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Faith and Infertility



Some of the people who read this already know that Brent and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 10 months now and have been unsuccessful. I realize ten months isn't all that long but it feels like it's been forever.

In addition to that I currently have 8 friends/family members that are pregnant along with a handful who just had cute little babies. I am so happy for these lucky women and their families. But I won't lie and say it isn't hard to watch sometimes.

One of the blessings I have enjoyed most of my life is that as I have gone through trials I have maintained a very close relationship to the Spirit and to my Heavenly Father. I have enjoyed open communication with Him and He with me. It has carried me through tough times and encouraged me when making tough decisions.

So when I tell you that this has been a hard 10 months, a big part of that is that I have felt distanced and alone and sometimes bitter. I'm honest. Don't judge.

Why? I think it has a lot to do with the fact that eventually "please bless that we can get pregnant" Didn't seem to feel right (and wasn't cutting it obviously). So it changed to "Help us to be able to start our family." But soon I just felt like He knew my heart, he knew what I wanted and I had already asked a lot. It didn't feel like something I should be asking for anymore.

Well then I didn't know what to say. I realize that I am the one that created that distance but just believe me that for a while I just didn't know how to talk to my Heavenly Father and I didn't feel like I could bridge that gap.

Last weekend I loved conference! because of my job at Gadabout and Brent's at CVS, we were only able to watch Sunday sessions. But we had some good friends over for breakfast and that helped me stay awake! One of the things I really took away with me was that the Lord knows best and that He wants us to be happy. I heard this message over and over. I'm not sure if it was really repeated that often but I know that the spirit was helping me to remember things I have known for years.

So on Tuesday afternoon I picked up the April copy of the Ensign magazine for some light reading and opened randomly to an article called: I Need the Every Hour By Elder Brent Nielson. The talk was on prayer and Elder Nielsen went through all the reasons we need to pray always and the blessings we receive by doing so. I read it thinking "wow, this is exactly what I needed to read today." I was touched by the Lord speaking to me through the words of his witnesses on Earth.

The next article I read, was about dating people with our standards but really about obedience to the Spirit. At the end of this article I started tearing up when i read the verse quoted from Isaiah


“For as the heavens are higher than
the earth, so are my ways higher than
your ways, and my thoughts than
your thoughts” (Isaiah 55:8–9).


I knew that the Lord was reminding me that even through my struggles of wanting to be a parent and wondering why we haven't received that blessing, He really does know best. He wants me to be happy and his ways are higher than my ways of achieving that. I was being humbled and entreated to be submissive.

I really felt that this was written for me and I was so grateful to really hear the spirits voice again, and to deeply feel God's love for me. So as I turned the page and saw the next article:
Faith and Infertility, My whole body started shaking. I know that the Lord was speaking to me at that moment. I saw that He was reaching out to me through His word and telling me that He does know my heart. He cares for me.

Let me explain that as far as we know neither Brent or I are infertile. Its just been a long time that we've been trying. Most of my friends and family are the type who think about being pregnant and about 2 minutes later they are, so for me 10 months was unimaginable at first.

I also want to acknowledge the strong women I know who have tried for years unsuccessfully and are still left wanting. My heart is with these women daily and I know that my trial is small in comparison. Along with all the other difficulties that come with the desire and the struggle of having a healthy baby.

One of the things I loved about reading the last article I mentioned was that For once I heard other people, many other people sharing their feelings that were so close to mine. In the Society of the "mormon" Church its hard to escape feelings of inadequacy or unfulfillment if as a woman, your motherhood is challenged. It is important that we realize that not all families start of easily, healthily or happily. Sensitivity is key!

I will not go over the whole article here, but if you'd like to read it you can follow this link

I will share my favorite quote.
“When someone has an
ailment or an illness and they are healed as the result of a
blessing, their faith is being strengthened. But for those who
aren’t healed but continue faithful, their faith is being perfected.
The first is a faith-promoting experience. The second
is faith-perfecting.”

My testimony has been strengthened of the Lord's love and awareness of me. I believe that my faith has been tested and I hope I can come out stronger!

11 comments:

  1. Please understand that I welcome your comments and love, but this is not a time where I am asking for advice. I simply wanted to share. I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm I LOVE YOU! i needed to read this and i love/ respect your honesty! I'm not as honest on my blog as I am in real life bc I'm afraid of who is reading it but if I was a totally honest person---- WHO cares who reads the truth?!

    Anyways I miss you and love you! You should call me soon! Zack and I wanna have a baby but financially have been struggling and have no health insurance so we really can't start a family (even though we feel we should be)... anyways, that one talk helped me so much and also Richard G Scotts about being a good companion. WELL tiff, i just wanted to say i love you and respect you! Call me anytime if you wanna catch up!

    8018502274 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Tiffany. I actually saw that article a few weeks ago, and thought of you, but I felt it wasn't my place to tell you about it. I'm so grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows exactly what you need, and exactly when you need it.

    You are a strong, faithful woman, and your womanhood and motherhood are still a big part of who you are, even if your family hasn't grown yet. The Lord loves you. I love you too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you blog Tiffany, Thanks for posting a link on facebook so I could read it. Send me your email and I will invite you to mine if you like. Having had difficulties with baby making and keeping myself I find it helps to write about my feelings and experiences. I also benefit from reading Julie Brintons blogs as well. There are quite a few Lloyd women who have had a rough ride to motherhood. I wish you the best of luck and will remember you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tiffany, I am so glad you've made this post.I can totally understand your feelings. All of them, even the ones you don't want people to judge you over. I am glad you are finding confidence and comfort in the Lord. That was the only thing that helped me change my heart. Looking back, it took us 3 years to have Josh. As difficult as that was, we later realized how there would have been no way we could have afforded Josh & all his medical needs. I also realized that it afforded me a lot of time to serve others in the ward and in my family. The Lord knows. I love you. If you ever need to talk or just have someone listen to you, I'm here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are an amazing person Tiffany and we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're very brave for posting this. People will talk endlessly of the woes of being pregnant and having small children, but when you enter the world of infertility or miscarriages it's a lot more silent. Thank you for putting this out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiffany you are amazing!!!! I remember it taking us a while to get pregnant with Jacob, and then this last summer we found out that we were finally pregnant again to only discover a few weeks later that we lost our baby. I am in a married student ward where I swear half of the people here were pregnant or just got pregnant after we moved here. I understand the hard feeling of joy and sadness. One thing that helped me, was being open with JJ and this unexpected experience only brought us closer together as a family! Just stay strong and have faith that the Lord knows when the right time will be (which I know you do)!
    I know that my friend swears by this book; basically it helps you with your cycle. "Taking charge of your fertility"
    Good luck and enjoy this time that you and your hubby can grow closer and closer together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks everyone. I love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete