Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 1: Remember

I have for some time had a red, leather bound and gold embossed copy of  A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens in my collections for decorative purposes.  I determined this year to read it, when I saw it on my shelf. I have enjoyed it immensely!  It is a wonderful story and the written word of it is much more touching than any film version I've ever seen.

Assuming that everyone knows the story I wish only to point out a singular character who has always been of interest to me.  The Ghost of Christmas Past.  Described as looking like an old man and a young child at once, and emitting a bright light, this spirit takes Ebeneezer Scrooge on a tour of his past Christmases.

  Through this journey Scrooge's heart begins to soften, he recognizes not only the major regrets of his life, but learns that the smallest things he does can affect those around him.  Because of this first step he is able to eventually gain a desire to share Christmas with others, to help others and shows deep remorse for his wrong doings.

What a fantastic example of Remembering.  We are exhorted in the scriptures many times to do the same.  To remember our God, to remember where salvation comes from, to remember our nothingness.

Even a well known mantra of historians is that he who cannot remember the past is doomed to repeat it.
Christmas Beanies 2009?

There are many things we can remember at this time of year.  I think that is what makes this a time loved by all; that we hold dear those memories of loved ones and happiness that we have had in the past.



Lund Christmas Eve, 2010

What will I remember this year?  I remember dragging my mattress upstairs every December first to sleep in a ring of beds with my siblings for a month, a special Christmas tradition.  I remember the first time I had buttermilk syrup at Grandma's house for breakfast on Christmas morning.  I remember picking angels off the tree in the mall and getting so excited to buy gifts for those in need.  I remember my Dad crying when he just talked about The Other Wise Man.  I remember my favorite Christmas  story has always been The Gift of the Magi. Sadly I have no old pictures of Christmas...

Christmas on THE Square.
Snow Fall On Christmas 2008

But the thing I mustn't forget is the reason Christmas has become such a beloved time for giving recieving and rejoicing.  We must not forget the birth of our Savior.  The Son of God.










2 comments:

  1. So excited you have updated the blog! Aw what great ways to remember Christmas and the joyful season it is.....it would be better if I could come visit you! :) Love you and think of you often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the christmas beanie picture!Makes me want to crochet a hat for everyone this year.

    ReplyDelete